Compounded topical creams can be one of the most effective ways to treat or manage pain. Experienced Beverly Hills pharmacist Dr. Hootan Melamed has long been an advocate of compounded topical medications for all types of pain, whether arising from a disease, disorder, or injury. Topical cream compounds have become more acceptable to physicians and patients in recent years because of their proven benefits.
Safety and Comfort
The feedback from patients over the years has consistently demonstrated that topical compounded creams can be a safer substitute to oral medications in many cases. Systemic absorption in case of topical creams is minimal, which almost entirely avoids the possibility of systemic reaction from the body. At the same time, compounding allows for the possibility to prepare customized topical formulations to match with the unique needs of a patient.
Compounding of topical medications is possible for various types of analgesics, anti-inflammatories, neuropathic agents and other pain reliever drugs. Compounding can be done for these drugs with a base to facilitate effective absorption of the ingredients through the skin pores. If the patient has a difficulty in swallowing liquid or solid oral medication, or the taste of the drug is unpleasant, an alternative compounded topical cream can eliminate these hurdles and achieve the desired outcome without making the patient uncomfortable.
Reduction of Side Effects
Dr. Melamed believes that topical compounded creams, gels and lotions can significantly reduce the risk of side effects that may be caused by commercially available drugs. The side effects may be particularly severe if opiates or opiate agonist medications are necessary to provide relief from moderate to severe pain. Typical risks of such medications include the following:
- Vomiting and nausea
- Cognitive impairment
- Respiratory depression
NSAIDS or non-steroidal anti-inflammatories for pain may also have the following potential side effects:
- Nausea, vomiting, dyspepsia, acid reflux
- High blood pressure
- Reduced renal blood flow
- Increased risk for MI
Topical compounded creams can minimize the chances of such severe side effects, while treating the source of the pain effectively, whether it is acute or chronic, and inflammatory or neuropathic.
- GI events with such topical compounds are less adverse. The medication avoids the gastrointestinal tract, which usually eliminates the chances of vomiting and nausea.
- Relief with topical creams is faster compared to oral drugs because the ingredients can be delivered directly to pain receptors and stop the pain at source.
- Optimized therapy can be provided by combining multiple medications in a prescription.
- Oxidative stress is minimized and organ toxicity is also negligible because of indirect application through the skin.
- Parts of the inflammatory cascade are blocked.
- Chances of adverse drug interactions are reduced.
- Pain relief is identifiable and measurable.
Dr. Melamed is an experienced pharmacist in Beverly Hills, who makes use of the highest quality ingredients to produce effective compounded topical creams and other medications for pain management and other concerns.
- Drug for Diabetes May Lower Heart Attack Risk in HIV Patients by Hootan Melamed
- Melanoma Rates Rise Steeply in Children and Young Adults by Hootan Melamed
- FAQ for Veterinarians by Pharmacist Hootan Melamed
- Compounding Pharmacists Battle for Solution to Painkiller Overuse: Hootan Melamed
- Liquid Medications: Tips and Tricks to Enhance Palatability
September 2019 M T W T F S S « Sep 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30